Bieszczady Mountains in Bieszczadzki National Park are definitely one of the most unspoiled regions in Poland or even in Central Europe. Located in the far south-east part of Poland you would need at least 7 hours to get there. There are several good reasons to visit Bieszczady. If you are looking for a little bit of wilderness this is your destination. If you are simply visitng Poland – Bieszczady should absolutely be on your list, this region is totally different to the rest of the country, it’s covered with a pure nature, offers delicious eastern cuisine and fantastic hiking trails. There are several moderate hiking trails in Bieszczady Mountains with wondeful view of the surrounding landscape. Watch out with a mobile network while hiking – Ukraine is very close and it happens that the mobile network switches into Ukrainian one, which is already outside EU, so the bill might be an unwanted surprise. 😉
Few facts to know how to get to Bieszczady Mountains:
- the road up to Bieszczady Mountains may not be the greatest and it takes long time to travel there.
- it’s a 7 hours drive from Warsaw.
- you may spend some time looking for your guesthouse or rather cottage – most of them are fantastic mountain wooded cottages.
- most convenient way of traleving to Bieszczady is by car! You’ll need it especially to travel around.
- It is possible to travel by bus from Warsaw to Solina – 7h30min drive.
Recommended places to visit in Bieszczady Mountains region:
- Wetlina – main town to stay if you’re planning to go hiking in Bieszczady. It’s a small but very friendly village and most of the guesthouses would located here.
- Solina – it’s a beautiful but artificial lake in Bieszczady with plenty of resorts around. You can take a walk through impressive dam on the lake.
- Ustrzyki Gorne – have to go if you want to buy some local spacialities: mountain cheese and home made jams.
- Ustrzyki Dolne
TWO MOST SPECTACULAR HIKING TRAILS IN BIESZCZADY MOUNTAINS.
- The first loop starts near: Wodospad Ostrowskich – which quite small waterfall located along the road 897. Park a car somewhere along the street to take the yellow hiking trail to Przelecz Orlowicza. From there you are taking left to a red trail toward Smerek peak or right to reach famous mountain shelter – Chatka Puchatka – the Pooh Shelter!
This is the start of the yellow hiking trail which goes from the main road 897 near the waterfall – Wodospad Ostrowskich toward Przelecz Orlowicza /mountain pass/. Yellow trail leads through the forest and it’s a moderate hike. From there winter starts to draw the landscape on surrounding flora..
Przelecz Orlowicza – the Mountain pass is reached: 1039m. It’s very windy and feels like at least -12.
Now from Przelecz Orlowicza you can take choose from two hiking trails: * left following the red trail toward Smerek peak * right to Osadzki Wierch /1h30 min hike/, Polonica Wetlinska 1228m /2h15min hike/ and Chatka Puchatka - the Pooh Shelter.
From Przelecz Orlowicza we took left – the red trail toward Smerek peak, the path leads through snowy forest tunnels, it feels like in a cartoon snowland!
The snow and ice formations are entwining surrounding trees and bushes, the view is incredible. When we stepped out of the forest to an open space again, the fog covered the landscape.
2. Second magnificent hiking trail in Bieszczady Mountains: Wolosate Loop.
Trail route: anti-clock wise: Wolosate – Rozsypaniec – Halicz – Przelecz Siodlo /mountain pass from where you turn to hike Taternica/ – Wolosate
Lenght of the trail: 18 km.
Difficulty level: moderate /depending on a season, conditions may be severe in winter time!/
From Przelecz Siodlo 1275m you can turn left to hike Taternica 1345m- the highest peak of Bieszczady Mountains. It takes only 15 minutes and it’s a one way trail up, so you have to go down the same way.
Top attractions in Bieszczady Mountains:
- Solina- the artificial lake and a dam
- Bieszczady Forest Railway – the old very slow train!
- Arlamow Resort – althoug I usually don’t recommend luxury places, this one is very special. It was built as a secret place for high-profile government representatives. It is now one of the most modern hotel complex with number of playing fields, swimming pools with spa area, provate ski slopes, restaurants, and even a small airport.
For more challenging hiking adventures check Tatra Mountains most spectacular trail above the clouds: https://freestyletraveling.com/hiking-zawrat-in-tatra-mountains/